Saturday, December 8, 2012

I'm either lazy or Mediocre - or both

The last week or so have been interesting on iRacing. In the Skippy, I did pretty well at Lime Rock but since Tuesday it's been racing at Suzuka and I am completely hopeless - 3 secs off the pace and I crash every couple of laps. I haven't even bothered to enter any races - it would just be embarrassing :-)

Still, for the championship you can drop 4 out of the 12 weeks so I'm still in a good position, as long as I don't have the same problem at too many other tracks. I suspect the problem is that, especially with the Skippy, practice makes perfect and I'm just not prepared to put in the hours practicing - I'd rather race in other cars and ovals - hence the title of the article. Next week should be good - the Skippy is at Zolder and I've already raced their in the Mazda, Riley and Corvette - and done well - so hopefully can get up to speed in the Skippy quickly.

The good news is that I've been doing better elsewhere. I'm getting more and more competitive in the Star Mazda (which is much more fun to drive than the Skippy anyway) and the Riley DP. I'm also OK with the Corvette CR6 - at some tracks anyway. I've also had a couple of good results with the Spec Racer Ford sports car.

I've also had some good oval results, particularly at Rockingham which all the real oval drivers seem to hate but I love - it's as bumpy and slippery as hell so you actually need to drive the car at it rather than just throw it into the turns. Because even on the ovals I'm a "slow in, fast out" driver, I also do much better on long runs between pitstops - I always make up a few places towards the end of races as people wear their tyres out.

I've also been involved in a couple of protests. One I made after I was rammed in a Corvette race. Unfortunately I didn't save the replay file properly so I ended up withdrawing the protest. There's one against me pending but I've got no clue what it's about - I've just had a notification that a protest has been made about something I did. More details next time I guess.

Some weird things do happen on iracing (just like in real racing). This week, the Star Mazda has been running on an oval track. In one race, I was in the top 5 battling in the middle of the group of cars and the caution came out. I pretty much immediately backed off and the guy behind me slammed into me going into the next corner and then yelled at me about it. !!!!!!!

OK back to practising - or maybe I'll just skip that and do a race :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment