Sunday, January 6, 2013

Changing Priorities

The last week or so I've been racing in different cars and series to see what I should run in the new season in 3 weeks time. I've carried on with the series like the Skippy I have been doing but just doing enough to score decent championship points and then stopping so I can do other races instead. Because the best 8 weeks from 12 count for the championships  it's actually pretty difficult to gain any serious ground in the championships once you get to week 10 so now's the best time to experiment with other cars.

Previously I'd already done a couple of races in the Corvette CR6 and I've done a few more now. It's a real handful but fun to drive but the races are combined with super fast sports cars so can be nerve racking, especially when there's big field. One race I did had 35 cars at Laguna Seca where the sports cars were lapping in 1m 15secs (about 10 secs faster than us). It was just crazy - once they starting lapping us basically all I could do was stay on the track and try to keep out of their way. The real problem is once you start moving over, you get slower so even more cars come behind you - you see the picture.....

I've also done quite a few races in the VW Jetta TD. It's really good fun to drive - lots of tyre squealing and oversteer but it's a pretty quick car. The races are combined with the Mazda MX5 Cup cars and the Jetta is significantly quicker. I had one very lucky win in the Jetta - I was running 3rd and the leaders managed to take each other off with a few laps to go.

I've also done a lot of oval races, especially in the trucks at Talladega. Awesome fun - one of the other guys shared a really good set-up so I've been really competitive. Haven't won a race yet but had a few top 5's so getting closer....

The problem with trying new cars is that your rating tends to drop. I've lost quite a few points over the last couple of weeks but I guess I'll be able to recover them once the new season starts.


No comments:

Post a Comment